Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Going K9 Green » clean up after your dog

Old 06-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
ellgar
New Around Here

clean up after your dog

here in england it is an offence to let your dog toilet and leave it , there is
posters here in devon showing a young child sitting in a play area with dog
feaces on her hands about to put them in her mouth and a hot line number
to report anyone who does not clean up.

i always clean up after my canine friend but it still is suprizing how many
dont bother here in the english riviera and i have to ensure she does not sniff
during her walk someone elses mess.

also on the beaches here in the season may to october you are not allowed
to let your dog run on the beach , there is a fine if you are caught.
ellgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Hi ellger

I spent a week in Devon in 2003 (and a week in Kent) and though I saw countless dogs, I saw very few of their messes. I was surprised to see only one dog at the beach off Brixton in July.(a black lab called Magic) That law would explain why. I saw dogs everywhere else; even some restaurants and shops which I thought was very cool.

PS. I loved the English Riviera: walked the beaches for hours and hours
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:09 AM   #3
Labman
Been Around A While

I frankly see no excuse for not cleaning up after your dog in public places. I am out all the time with my puppies, including before they are housebroken. I always carry clean up materials with me.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:44 AM   #4
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
We do not have laws or legsulations for this kinda thing. If you are out walking your dog, let them sniff and go in a alley if you can get them to. I have had my dogs stop and do #2 in peoples lawns which is horrific but you just have to walk off from that. I live on a corner lot and when mowing the grass along the street and alley its not uncommon to see #2s...we also have a high population of strays too that can be culprits.

But I live in rual Texas and we do live a diffrent life style than most people

Texas...its like a whole other country.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:34 AM   #5
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

I carry a large zip-loc baggie just incase they "go" when we are on a walk. I also pick up after them in MY yard and in the neighbor's yards when they are playing.

I don't like finding it on the bottom of my shoe!!! I don't expect anyone else to like it any better.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Labman
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shara View Post
We do not have laws or legsulations for this kinda thing. If you are out walking your dog, let them sniff and go in a alley if you can get them to. I have had my dogs stop and do #2 in peoples lawns which is horrific but you just have to walk off from that. I live on a corner lot and when mowing the grass along the street and alley its not uncommon to see #2s...we also have a high population of strays too that can be culprits.

But I live in rual Texas and we do live a diffrent life style than most people

Texas...its like a whole other country.
Are you really saying you walk off leaving your dog's stools in somebody's yard? Maybe it will get censored here, but on another site somebody used ''Shit happens, carry a plastic bag.'' as their signature. I wonder if failure to censor such is part of why that site is gone?

I am human, and a few times I have been caught short of clean up supplies. Sometimes I scrounge some trash if I can. I have used a tissue I was carrying.

One of the best ones was when we were touring a museum with our puppies. We often switch off dogs to give them experience with different handlers. One lady was caught short when another's dog humped up his back. She ran around behind and caught the stools in her bare hands. I took the dog and lead her to the ladies' room and opened the door. No ifs, ands, buts or maybes, clean up after your dog in public.

Last edited by Labman : 06-23-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: left out maybes
Old 06-24-2009, 12:38 AM   #7
Danielle
Been Around A While

I always clean up after my dogs. Its law here. If you get caught, you get fined.

Ive often seen ppl get caught without a baggie and Ill always offer them one of mine. Mine are on a roll and inside a little capsule container that hangs off my handbag. Always accessable.
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:03 AM   #8
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
I said it how it is here Labman. Kinda insulting when I said and described in detail what happens here...and then you question it...but whatever...People would think you were strange after your dog goes, to be bending down retrieving it...I have NEVER seen anyone do that and I honestly laugh at the mental picture...the only time we are 'required' to pick up is at dog events/a dog parks/club and training sites...which are very small limited areas. Where they have signs up EVERYWHERE and they have a 'station' with dog scoop and a bin.
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Danielle
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shara View Post
I said it how it is here Labman. Kinda insulting when I said and described in detail what happens here...and then you question it...but whatever...People would think you were strange after your dog goes, to be bending down retrieving it...I have NEVER seen anyone do that and I honestly laugh at the mental picture...the only time we are 'required' to pick up is at dog events/a dog parks/club and training sites...which are very small limited areas. Where they have signs up EVERYWHERE and they have a 'station' with dog scoop and a bin.

Shara, I do agree that in some rural places it is not common practice to pick up your dogs "doo-doo".

Where I have moved to its not really the done thing. But then again, neither is a poodle with a topknot! LOL! But regardless, I still pick it up, Im just in the habit of doing it because I have lived in the city for so long.

Labman, some places are different and people have a different mindset. Shara is talking about a rural area that is probably full of livestock that defecate everywhere anyways, so ppl dont see the issue with not picking up after their dogs. Also, there is no need for confrontational language, its very disrespectful to the young ppl on this forum.
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
Labman
Been Around A While

Danelle, you are in no place to call me confrontational.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Going K9 Green