Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory » Unleashing dogs in public..

Old 02-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #11
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Weesha1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc2boc View Post
I use to use a 15 foot retractable leash for my dog. That was the amount of free room given to her. A leash is a guarentee,not luck that something will not go wrong. Wouldn't chance something, really cared about, to luck..

I never chance anything either, but remember that retractable leashes can carry NO guarantee, in fact they can be very dangerous. If you have your leash out about lets say 12 ft. A car comes X runs into the road, the leash sticks the dog can be easily hit. I use them when I go out to a park or around my condo complex, but when I am out in public or around streets I use a regular one, that you CAN guarantee ~Just a thought
Having fun enjoying the West...One adventure after another!
Weesha1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #12
doc2boc
Been Around A While

Thumbs up

Debate is about leashes and peeps who feel they are not needed. referred a retractable as better than none. one step in the right direction. if letting my dog have 12 feet, gotta be aware none of that space around me leads to a road or other harms way. The same as a regular looong leash i've seen peeps not know how to use. But thanks for the comment with the right intention ..
doc2boc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #13
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc2boc View Post
Debate is about leashes and peeps who feel they are not needed. referred a retractable as better than none. one step in the right direction. if letting my dog have 12 feet, gotta be aware none of that space around me leads to a road or other harms way. The same as a regular looong leash i've seen peeps not know how to use. But thanks for the comment with the right intention ..

I think that adding information about different leashes to this thread is very interesting and educational It goes along with this thread, why wouldn't it?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #14
doc2boc
Been Around A While

Thumbs up

it wouldn't..
Old 02-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #15
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

I'm sorry I don't understand? It wouldn't what?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #16
Brooke
Been Around A While

I let Sammie off occasionally down at the dog beach. There are hardly any roads in sight, and my dogs never run away (They’re attached to my hip!). All we do is let Sammie off so he can play soccer with us. When he plays soccer, he doesn’t even look at other dogs or other people. He just stares at the ball and runs around!

However, due to only having Kai for a short time, he doesn't get to go off leash really... I just run around, and swim with him, on leash.

I think it is pretty rude that you are going around pretty much calling people bad owners because they let their dogs run off leash for a while. What you don’t see is that all of us WOULD NOT let our dogs off leash in an unsafe area. My dogs are all walked on a leash, but when they go to the puppy beach, they are allowed to run with me, but not away from me – which they do!!

Also, you were wanting a debate.. but when people put their ideas in (which don’t agree with yours) you say it has nothing to do with the thread. If you want to start a debate thread, listen to peoples ideas – even if they are different to yours.

Last edited by Brooke : 02-04-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:17 PM   #17
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I don't unleash my dogs in public, nor would I ever consider using a flex-lead in a public park. I DO take my dogs to a friends property with about 10 wooded acres, and I also let a few of them off lead in fields near my home to practice tracking. All have excellent recall. We occasionally see joggers, but they don't react.

I have taken a couple of mine to dog parks (off-leash), and that went well. I did see dogs at those parks who should not have been there off leash, or possibly not at all.

Leashes are not any kind of guarantee. Dogs need to be socialized, but they also need to know how to behave in public places.

I think people who have no yard for a dog to run and play like to try letting their dogs go for a bit, and probably don't look far enough ahead to see the potential dangers in public places.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:27 PM   #18
Danielle
Been Around A While

I NEVER take my dogs off their leashes. Way too dangerous. You just never know what it gonna happen and I wouldnt want to take the chance. I do however take them off leash at the Offleash Dog Park tho. Its fully fenced so they cant get out.
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #19
doc2boc
Been Around A While

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weesha1717 View Post
I'm sorry I don't understand? It wouldn't what?
what you said. talking about different leashes does not go off topic with this thread.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #20
doc2boc
Been Around A While

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
I let Sammie off occasionally down at the dog beach. There are hardly any roads in sight, and my dogs never run away (They’re attached to my hip!). All we do is let Sammie off so he can play soccer with us. When he plays soccer, he doesn’t even look at other dogs or other people. He just stares at the ball and runs around!

However, due to only having Kai for a short time, he doesn't get to go off leash really... I just run around, and swim with him, on leash.

I think it is pretty rude that you are going around pretty much calling people bad owners because they let their dogs run off leash for a while. What you don’t see is that all of us WOULD NOT let our dogs off leash in an unsafe area. My dogs are all walked on a leash, but when they go to the puppy beach, they are allowed to run with me, but not away from me – which they do!!

Also, you were wanting a debate.. but when people put their ideas in (which don’t agree with yours) you say it has nothing to do with the thread. If you want to start a debate thread, listen to peoples ideas – even if they are different to yours.
i know not to be rude with anyone..

the debate is simply a means to hope some reading this thread will change the practice of unleashing their pet without planning for the worse case result. if i save one dog fron getting forever lost, it will be worth it..

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory