Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory » Unleashing dogs in public..

Old 02-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #21
Carol
Been Around A While

In my city, we have beautiful walking trails all over the city.
It is illegal to walk your dog unleashed. We have NO off leash parks here.
I see dogs offleash all the time. It scares me to death because, generally, it is large dogs that are allowed to do this by their owners.
My little cocker has been attacked 5 times and now I am super cautious.
Owner responsibility is the problem.
They think their dog is special so to heck with the leash laws.

Jake - Rainbow Bridge 12/19/08

Adopted by: Casey the Cocker 8 yrs
and Tia the ShihTzu 6 months
in Peterborough ONT Canada
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #22
Suz23
Been Around A While

Just caught up with this - I think in the UK things are very different. We have so many areas our dogs can be off lead - not fenced in areas, actually dont have many of them round here - but parks and fields and woods, the beach - it is perfectly legal to have your dog off lead in these places.

doc- no lead is a guarentee sorry - I ahve seen dogs run over on leads, and dogs break leads and bite a young child - where was the guarentee then?

I think if your dog is weel trained and well cued there is no reason why they cannot be off lead. I regularly got to a large field thats right by a road - its fenced, but not 100% escape free, I have my dog under control and she is safe- off lead, I TRUST her not to run off. Our collie - no he would be leashed in that field because he cant be trusted. Honey has broken a recall or wait cue in the last 5 years. I think there is too much of this wanting to limit where we can walk our dogs and whether they should be leashed or not- its happeneing here and slowly getting worse.
Suz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #23
missymoo
Site Regular

I have a 50 foot lunge rein for harley as he has no recall and therefore has no chance of running off. However, my teenage son once took his lead off at the end of the drive (harley was so tired he was dragging himself up the drive) Harley suddenly found a new spark of energy and did a runner. He ran straight over to the green to 2 poodles (he wasnt being aggressive) their owner automatically kicked him so hard in the ribs, twice while he was running away and then reported me to the police for having a dangerous dog. Thats why he never goes off the lead. I can understand her being petrified of a huge wolf running at mach 90 toward her, but hello, if the dog is running away, why keep kicking. The police came to assess our dangerous dog only to find harley having his eyes licked by jessie in the garden and nursing his cracked ribs. The police ended up speaking to the lady about her actions. I cant blame the over reaction but its not ever going to happen again.
missymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #24
doc2boc
Been Around A While

Exclamation

this thread was made in hoping owners who won't leash their dogs in public, will rethink it again..
doc2boc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #25
Suz23
Been Around A While

sorry doc not sure I understand

you want people to leash dogs in public

or you dont want people to leash dogs in pbulic

if its the former - again I say you need to define what you mean by public- any outside area can be classed as public - and if you mean just about anywhere, then why?? Why so against people having dogs offlead?
Suz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #26
doc2boc
Been Around A While

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suz23 View Post
sorry doc not sure I understand

you want people to leash dogs in public

or you dont want people to leash dogs in pbulic

if its the former - again I say you need to define what you mean by public- any outside area can be classed as public - and if you mean just about anywhere, then why?? Why so against people having dogs offlead?
i'm against dogs "offlead" if i understand you..

that means on a leash at all times, when otherwise, you truly have no control if they decide not to be in your control at any given moment.

see too too many signs posted on the streets of dogs lost. these must have been dogs, for the most part, offlead, as you described.

this is not biased to dogs "off lead" who try to attack others for pretty good reason but not legally. I know how to handled these types of dogs. Not everyone does.

My interest is about losing a dog. "onlead" its almost impossible unless truly an accident. "offlead" its not an accident..

Hope I clarified my position to your issue..

Thanks for yr response..
doc2boc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:44 PM   #27
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I wouldn't have been able to train my dogs to do many of the things we both love to do if I constantly had them on a lead. Herding, agility, tracking, etc.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:09 AM   #28
Brooke
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc2boc View Post
i'm against dogs "offlead" if i understand you..

that means on a leash at all times, when otherwise, you truly have no control if they decide not to be in your control at any given moment.

see too too many signs posted on the streets of dogs lost. these must have been dogs, for the most part, offlead, as you described.

this is not biased to dogs "off lead" who try to attack others for pretty good reason but not legally. I know how to handled these types of dogs. Not everyone does.

My interest is about losing a dog. "onlead" its almost impossible unless truly an accident. "offlead" its not an accident..

Hope I clarified my position to your issue..

Thanks for yr response..
I don’t agree with you, sorry. One thing I do agree with, is that I would never walk my dogs on a street off leash, but I think there are circumstances that it is okay. I take my dogs everyday to an off leash dog park which is fully enclosed. There is a fence completely around it, and the dogs can run free over obstacles, play with other dogs, and run around together. I love taking them there, and I know that THEY enjoy it 110% because they get excited when we pull up to the park. There is a part for “small dogs” and a part for “large dogs”. I think this is a GREAT idea.
I really don’t see why you have such a problem with off leash areas in special circumstances. Like Ann’s – She could never have taught her dogs anything, as she said, on leash.
I don’t think that us letting our dogs off leash makes us bad dog owners.
Proudly owned by Sammie, Kai and Zeekie (kitten), who I love to death xo

- If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either.
Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:21 AM   #29
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I've never lost a dog. Not one. I call them in and they come. None have ever bitten anyone or attacked another dog. I will agree that there are circumstances where it is totally inappropriate to have a dog off lead, but to assume it is never appropriate is a little over the top.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #30
grizzle
Been Around A While

I think it all boils down to what you perceive as in public. A place where there are people cars and other dogs that is not secure is in public to me. I have my boys in the woods off leash and it's not secure as in fenced. This is a chance I'm willing to take. Hundreds of acres before ever getting to a dangerous place. I'm pretty sure I can get a recall before any problems would come about. As far as dog parks I don't like them so I'll leave that alone. In public my boy's will always be on leash, a strong leather leash. Not that I can't trust them but I have respect for other people and dogs that might not like them. Letting your dog off leash at ANY time You take a chance. Sometimes it's a very small chance and one we are willing to take other times you take a big risk. Your choice make a good one.
If dogs could train humans it would be a perfect world!!!
grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory