Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Recreational Dogs » biking with Elsa

Old 10-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
gsdmama
Been Around A While

biking with Elsa

i want to start biking with Elsa. Is she to young to start this? she is 1yr and 1mo??? she is already use to the bike and i walk the bike with her hooked to the bike.

it's mine! no it's mine! moooooom!
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
for short spells to start off with and not to fast let her build up slowly and you should have no problems
if your house looks like its been hit by a tornado your owned by a dobermann RIP Lyric, Caito, Daimler, Autumn, Hope and Archie see you at Rainbow Bridge My heart is broken, all of you gone in one year, run free, play hard and wait for me.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Yup, she is over a year so it won't negatively impact bone growth at this point. However, like Dobes states, gradually increase the distance and speed so she can develop the necessary physical conditioning and she won't pull something or lame-up. This should help solve a lot of her anxiety issues as the added exercise will calm her down naturally and exhaust her physically.

I wish I could bike but it will soon be winter so I have to find alternatives as it is difficult to bike in 3ft of snow . I am thinking of taking up cross country skiing this year so that Cassie and I can continue with our 6Km jaunts. I am trying to get fit, lose some weight and keep both of us out of our respected doctor's 'dog house' for having too much weight. LOL

Let us know how Elsa makes out running beside the bike.

Furbs
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
gsdmama
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbilator View Post
Yup, she is over a year so it won't negatively impact bone growth at this point. However, like Dobes states, gradually increase the distance and speed so she can develop the necessary physical conditioning and she won't pull something or lame-up. This should help solve a lot of her anxiety issues as the added exercise will calm her down naturally and exhaust her physically.

I wish I could bike but it will soon be winter so I have to find alternatives as it is difficult to bike in 3ft of snow . I am thinking of taking up cross country skiing this year so that Cassie and I can continue with our 6Km jaunts. I am trying to get fit, lose some weight and keep both of us out of our respected doctor's 'dog house' for having too much weight. LOL

Let us know how Elsa makes out running beside the bike.

Furbs
i will go slowly with it. the weather is still nice so i can do things early in the morning or late afternoon. during the day it is still to warm. i just got back from a hour walk and she was still bouncing off the walls.

this afternoon i will take her on another walk and do some training with her. i guess i have to make my walks longer. i wish i had nice areas around my house to walk like fields and parks. i want to get more active now that it is cooler in the early mornings

we live in a concrete jungle.

would i be wasting gas if i drove somewhere???

should i get elsa booties since she will be running in the street and there maybe nails and glass and sorts?

it's mine! NO it's mine! MOOOOOOOOM!
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
Furbilator
Been Around A While

I would take a test run on the route you are taking just to see if there is a lot of road debris. Booties are great, but they can be a source of greater discomfort (depending upon the type) in warmer climates or areas were debris can get caught in the fabric of the booties. If you take it slow, monitor the area where you bike/run her, you shouldn't need the booties.

Judgement call, either way.

Furbs
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
seems your question has been answered. All I can add is that biking with your dog is very fullfilling, I do it with my pooch and its a great way to get that energy out. Unfortunately I have popped another tire, for the third time, so biking is out of the questions for me. In that sense, a word of advice.... get anti-pop tires...they help
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
sibe2
New Around Here

I run my huskies with the bike, sometimes 1 on a springer device @ side & sometimes both together @ the front pulling. I started off with short distances & built it up slowy, we do about 3 or 4 miles now. Is elsa a gsd? I would be careful biking with her if she is as they can suffer with sore hips . Your girl may be fine running like this though, i try to run mine on grassy areas as much as possible, not aklways possible though , if on tarmac i only trot them. It is great exercise for you & the dog though, i love it. A few pics of my 2 in front of bike as i haven't any of them next to bike on springer.

sibe2 is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Recreational Dogs