Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Recreational Dogs » Patchs and Neka play "Capture the Flag"

Old 06-27-2009, 04:18 AM   #1
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Patchs and Neka play "Capture the Flag"

I didn't have my video camera with me so I'll do my best to give you an acurite discription of this game so you can picture it in your mind.

For the lack of a better defintion, This game could be compaired to a game I played when i was a kid. It was called "Capture the Flag"

The Set Up:
Over the past week or so we have had daytime temps in the mid to upper 90's and very high humidity. Low temps have only dropped into the low 70's with humiditys of 95% ... So you could say it has been a little "sticky" around here. When it gets like this the dogs don't want to play much. But tonight it is starting to cool down. This means that they were a lot more active during the evening play session tonight.

The Game:
I'm sure you have seen the recent videos and photos of Patchs and Neka enjoying wrestling with, (and chasing), each other around our yard ... Well, during one of the "chasing" parts of the play session Patchs became VERY "over-excited" and started running FULL BLAST in a large figure eight pattern that included running a round the big pine tree with the picnic table and swing under it. After about 6 laps around the tree, she SLAMMED on her brakes and stood behind the tree so Neka couldn't see her. Neka had stopped chasing her about two laps earlier and was just standing on the other side of the tree about 15 feet away from it. Neka stood facing the tree looking at it like she was looking for Patchs.

Patchs stood there very still and occationally "peeked" around one side of the tree and then the other. She was looking to see if Neka was still watching. (She Was) ...

Each time Neka saw her peeking around the tree she would bow to the "lets play" position and gave a little "woof-growl". When patchs didn't move, she picked up a toy (that just happen to be laying there) and tossed it to the ground next to her. This went on for 2-3 minutes until Neka finally just laid down next to the toy.

At that point Patchs "Took Off Like A Shot" and made a very wide circle around Neka. Neka just laid there watching. When Patchs was just about directly behind Neka she made a sharp turn toward her and charged toward her at FULL SPEED. Patchs passed about 1 inch from her and scooped up the toy while still on the run.

Neka JUMPED to her feet and began the chase all over again. They both made 3 more full laps around the 1/4 acre and then both stopped for a drink of water.

As fast as it began ... it was over!!!

They both laid down beside each other and panted like they had been running for hours. After a brief rest they started wrestling again. This time they were both much more subdued and did it while laying down. They rolled around on the ground together and played with the toy.

They are now, both laying on the floor in front of me ... They are both "passed out" ...
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:24 AM   #2
sandyb
Been Around A While

Sounds like those dogs of yours are having a great time. Sometimes their games have rules that we can't understand, yet they repeat them over and over. My two do the mad running round and the abrupt stop too. They are so much fun to watch - far better than anything on TV!!
sandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyb View Post
Sounds like those dogs of yours are having a great time. Sometimes their games have rules that we can't understand, yet they repeat them over and over. My two do the mad running round and the abrupt stop too. They are so much fun to watch - far better than anything on TV!!
They did it again this morning, but without the tree this time!!! It was HALARIOUS ... Patchs is SO quick and Neka plays it SO cool ... then when they both lay down and play together its like watching to little puppies rolling around.

You're right, MUCH better than TV.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:25 AM   #4
sandyb
Been Around A While

Jazz is my quick one - she tucks her bottom under when she runs and looks really funny. Jett can barely keep up with her. Aren't you glad you've got two dogs?
sandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
SchnauzkyLVR
Been Around A While

sounds like a fun game! im always looking for new games to teach my little guy!
~*:: BATMAN ::*~
:: "Dogs are miracles with paws" ::
SchnauzkyLVR is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Recreational Dogs