Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Recreational Dogs » Venting Day/Hiking Day

Old 11-09-2007, 08:19 AM   #1
nikk
Been Around A While

Thumbs down Venting Day/Hiking Day

Yesterday we went hiking at Moore Park. Well, last week we already encountered Oscar a 15 lb beagle, that wanted to kill our pits. We let it slide.
Not so good yesterday. These 2 girls were walking their big dogs off-leash. Well, how do you not see the sign that says Dogs Must Be Leashed.

There are Mountain Lions, Deers, and Bears up there, and they let their three dogs loose. Why do people do that, one word stupidity. Any one of these animals would kill a domestic dog. Needless to say my b/f went off on them. And they still didn't leash them.

What do you think would happen if I let me pits loose and let them run up on their dogs?
nikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
LabMomHouston
Been Around A While

They probably would have given you the "irresponsbile pet owner" look. I think its totally irresponsible and puts other dogs at risk as well. Since you don't always know how dogs will react meeting each other...how do you control that if the dogs are unleashed.
LabMomHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
nikk
Been Around A While

Good Point LMH, we usually start yelling at the dogs, and they usually will stop and turn back or stand their. It really frustrates me because what happens when their dog gets hurt or worse. Who are they going to blame the wild animals that live there? Or blame themselves for allowing it.

What do you think would happen if I let the pits loose? Of course they'd run and complain. My dogs are never off-leash up there because of the wild factor.

Yesterday I had to wrap my dogs around a small tree until these wild hooligan dogs were contained. It was sorta funny me and 160 lbs of pit bulls hiding behind a tree. Glad none of us got hurt.
nikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
zorasdad
Been Around A While

Not that I let mine off leash in public places. There are places I found with no people or dogs and run them and off leash train them. I have trained mine to sit when another dog comes by if the other barks mine will let out a deep loud bark and usually its over the warning done and the strange dog backs off. Its the small dogs that do a lot of barking usually, on retractable leads that cause the ruckess.
a working dog is a happy dog
zorasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
boxerheaven
Been Around A While

these sort of people make me mad when i was away i put my dogs (on a leash) to the side so a couple could walk past and their dog came over to mine i asked them to call their dog and low and behold they couldnt get it to come back !! makes me mad because if my dogs would have had a go i would have been in the wrong.
on another note wild bears and mountain lions wow have you ever seen these ?
boxerheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
It's terrible how people expect behavior out of certain dog breed owners but not of others. I agree with you if it were my bullies someone would say something right away. Just because it some other breed doesn't make it right. I share your feelings on this one
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
i agree it would be different if you had your dogs off lead i get that look too if my dobes are offlead in areas where they are allowed to be off
if your house looks like its been hit by a tornado your owned by a dobermann RIP Lyric, Caito, Daimler, Autumn, Hope and Archie see you at Rainbow Bridge My heart is broken, all of you gone in one year, run free, play hard and wait for me.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
Twila
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Twila
Quote:
Needless to say my b/f went off on them. And they still didn't leash them.
Whenever has anyone who's "gone off" on someone gotten the response they want?

I was in an offleash park and had Marley off leash and had a woman "go off' on me about letting my small dog off leash in an off leash area that recently had a black bear in it...first reaction from most people is defensiveness. I was pissed off at her for "going off" I didn't ask for her opinion. Should you wish to voice your opinion and be heard...you better choose your words and your tone carefully. Otherwise you will get a blank stare, or worse...

Not trying to rag on you, but seriously if this lady had simply come up to me and told me that a black bear had been seen recently and that maybe I should leash Marley, I'd have thanked her for her kind words. Instead of feeling like I wanted to slap her.
Twila is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Recreational Dogs