Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Recreational Dogs » How often do you walk your pooch?

Old 07-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #21
zorasdad
Been Around A While

Ann that is a good point. Me being sometimes lazy I was looking for a swimming hole close to vehicle parking. I will keep going to the trail and take the mile walk befor letting them go swimming and running around.I guess all three of us needs a warm up. Thanks
a working dog is a happy dog
zorasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #22
LABLOVER500
Been Around A While

Whaaaaa, I cant walk either right now... Indy, my old boy, isnt allowed walks anymore because of his chronic severe arthritis (but he gets to swim as much as possible because its easy on his old joints), and JoJo is just finishing up heartworm treatment and is still "grounded"... but after, whoo hoo...at least 5 days a week at 3 miles... depending on which parent is going to the riverwalk.
LABLOVER500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #23
NoodlezxMama
Been Around A While

oh gosh, the boys get walked SO much lately.

They pull a mile with me in the morning after they eat breakfast..[little Giz could go for hours, I swear!]
We come back home and get some water, then we're out again, about a half a mile in a different direction, where we know a bunch of other dogs. Gizmo loves to meet and greet through fences and once in a while the owner is awake to let the dogs socialize.. His favorite is a minpin by the name of Rambo.
We go home again..and they only go outside for peepees and poopoos until just after lunch time, where we go in the back yard. Noodles isn't good offleash, so we tie him up to let him run around on a 30ft tie out. Gizmo works on his offleash skills then, and recall training..which is going decent..We usually stay outside for around an hour, maybe an hour and a half if we're making progress.

Then we go inside and wait for daddy to get home from work..we go outside for peepees and poopoos every hour until 4pm. YAY! Daddy's home! Now we take a ride to this beautiful park and walk around the whole thing..a mile around a lake, and two miles around the rest of the park in the woods, stopping and looking at waterfalls, or watching kids play in the pool. It's a great park for socialization. Noodles and Gizmo are just so excellent and gentle with kids, it's a wonderful thing to see. Then we go back to the car and get lots of water..and everyone rests up in the car ride..for about a half hour on the drive to the doggie park.

The two of them LOVE the doggie park..they'll run around and play for as long as we'll let them. We're usually not home until around 7 or 8pm..Then it's about a 45 minute drive home., they usually sleep the whole time. We come home, eat dinner, and the boys go for one more half mile walk to get any poopies out with daddy...and then everyone comes home and it's bed time. =]

My dogs have made me busy..lol!

The Mckibbens

Leesa & Joshua
Belle & Tucker

NoodlezxMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #24
Keeper
Site Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by erijane View Post
We go out twice a day- with free run time n the back yard off and on all day long!

I work form home! lucky guns!

I have two dogs and when we do go out on our walks I walk them on a normal fixed leash and have wondered often about those like adjustable leashes- ie: Flexi Retractable Leash..... Anyone use them?
http://www.expotv.com/Flexi-Retractable-Leash/2C-OQ9

I have two terriers natural instincts do include chasing all small critters- will this thing brake upon a heavy pull?
Yes, they can break, depends on the size you get. Personally, I hate those things because most people have very little control using them. My dogs are strong, they are not suitable for us. If you have little dogs, maybe their okay.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:27 AM   #25
Keeper
Site Regular

Cooper has taken off when off leash, so my husband takes him out for a couple hours every morning. I take the other 3 off leash. We usually go to a place with trails and ponds for them to swim in - it is perfect. This week, I haven't taken them out because we are having a heat wave of 113. Best I can do is a little frisbee or ball play in the yard til it cools down a bit. I can't take this heat.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #26
boxerheaven
Been Around A While

one to two hours a day at the moment its raining all the time i feel i may get trench foot !!!!
boxerheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:49 AM   #27
Leslie_N_Chessies
Been Around A While

My two get an hour long outing both in the morning and evening. They usually get a 30 minute walk first and then a trip to the dog park or beach. Tired puppies are good puppies ^_^
Leslie_N_Chessies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:54 PM   #28
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie_N_Chessies View Post
My two get an hour long outing both in the morning and evening. They usually get a 30 minute walk first and then a trip to the dog park or beach. Tired puppies are good puppies ^_^
Couldn't agree with ya more! Sooo much better when the pooches are tired.lol.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Recreational Dogs