Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion » Territory Marking
View Poll Results: Do you think Territory Marking is a sign of:
Aggression 0 0%
Dominance 12 44.44%
Marking a Shared Territory 10 37.04%
Other - Please Explain 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2010, 02:03 AM   #11
Labman
Been Around A While

I have very little experience with aggressive dogs that get into fights. I do work with many very strong willed ones that use other than aggression to get their way. As some of you may have noticed, I have strong opinions and will defend them here and elsewhere on the net. However, in the real world, I don't punch people in the mouth that I disagree with. I try to avoid crowds where that is common.

I think marking is just one more thing that can lead to trouble between poorly bred and trained dogs. I have watched a number of males wringing themselves dry trying to be the last one to mark a tree. However, none of them attacked another dog on its way to the tree. I do think there are dogs that would do so, just outside my experience.

Perhaps avoiding aggressive people limits my experience with aggressive dogs.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #12
SchnauzkyLVR
Been Around A While

mine has done it for all of those reasons..so im not completely sure. He is not really much of a marker..but has in the past a few times

He has marked next to where there was a dog he didn't like.
He will mark on top of what other dogs have marked
..and im sure he has done it out of dominance too...

very interesting topic though!
~*:: BATMAN ::*~
:: "Dogs are miracles with paws" ::
SchnauzkyLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
Furbilator
Been Around A While

To me marking is not unlike being on a forum . The OP or in this case the original pisser makes a comment on the doggie tree news forum and then other dogs have to read (sniff) and may or maynot make a comment (via pee). Some comments require remarking {sorry, couldn't resist that play on words} and other comments are simply 'read' and ignored. Some dogs, again not unlike on a human forum, get into a pissing contest and tend to get pissed off when their remarks are not the final word.

Sometimes the wiz is mighter than the oak....the oak dies!

Ok, that was bad, but I couldn't resist. LOL
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:15 AM   #14
lucysnewmum
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to lucysnewmum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbilator View Post
To me marking is not unlike being on a forum . The OP or in this case the original pisser makes a comment on the doggie tree news forum and then other dogs have to read (sniff) and may or maynot make a comment (via pee). Some comments require remarking {sorry, couldn't resist that play on words} and other comments are simply 'read' and ignored. Some dogs, again not unlike on a human forum, get into a pissing contest and tend to get pissed off when their remarks are not the final word.

what a brilliant way to explain it Furbs.....well done!

ZACK
My loyal friend forever in sunshine

Gilly
lucysnewmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #15
Howler
Been Around A While

ive never seen a fight occur over marking, at the kennels we walked the dogs as a pack and although some would pee over anothers scent it didnt occur all the time. our old bichon always went over our springers scent and would follow dogs around off lead but it never resulted in a fight. i think bense and charlie might be odd cases, especially charlie as he seems to do everything he can not to pee on a walk and tends to do several massive wees a day rather than marking. bense marks very rarely and isnt at all bothered if the dogs from next door go in our garden (we have a shared path so they come and go). i would say it depends on the dog and what the message being passed on is.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #16
Momto3
Been Around A While

Quote:

I think this hits the mark completely! Doggie message board...
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #17
archielee
Site Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamutesrule View Post
all the answers overlap they use pee marking as 99% of day to day to gather infomation on whats going on in the world in total they understand far more than we will ever understand . but we all know they know whats going on for sure !!!! 3.malamutes.1 jap akita.1 klee kai here and lots of pee . a note a fight might happen if pack order is not maintained on order of who sniffs the pee first alfa dog alfa female down to omega lowest in pack ..... please post your thoughts on this
Just like to say OMG you have a Klee Kai, I have 3
archielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #18
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
THis is basicly what I told the person when I answered the email. I have been told this since I was 10 yo. The ppl who tought me about dogs said that dogs communicate in several ways.

- Body Language
- Barking
- Bodly Functions

My visitor responded to my answer, and they told me that a "trainer" that they called had told them this. Its amazing to me how "out of touch" some trainers are and how "old fashon" some of thier thinking is.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #19
Lyka_01
Site Regular

For me marking territory is a sign of dominance...One a dog mark the area it means that he is the one dominant in that place or he own the place...hmp that is what I thought based on my experience and observation...correct me if i'm wrong...
Lyka_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #20
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Elsa tells me she's just reading and sending peeMail. _Marie
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion