Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Flyball Dogs » Cerbie has flyball lessons tomorrow!

Old 09-13-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Cerbie has flyball lessons tomorrow!

weather permitting, of course. I'm really excited. I found a team online and emailed them some general questions, and they told me to come on down with cerb tomorrow to practice. Well, i have to hear if they'll let me come without a crate. i don't have a crate for Cerbie. I think this will be fun. Those dogs always look like they're having a blast.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:40 AM   #2
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Cerb did so good! he jumped 4 of the jumps, and we started to learn the swimmer's turn. The man teaching us was impressed. we'll be going back next weekend. Danny might even go back with me. he had fun with Cerb, and enjoyed the results of cerbie listening to him.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:15 AM   #3
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
So jealous of you!!! Thats so cool you found a team!!! I got Tigger just for Flyball but no teams around here...LOL...FLYBALL IS FUN!!! Horray!!!!
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Congrats on the good start. Cerbes does it all. What a fine dog he is. You must be very proud of him
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

We are very proud of him, Elsasmom. He's such a wonderful boy. I've pretty much decided to end his therapy career as well, bc he's just to energetic. He's ended every session with barking, and he has the big hound bark which scares some of the residents we visit. This will give him something active to do, and maybe we can resume therapy work when he gets a bit older.

Shara, that sucks that no teams are close to you. This one's about 40 minutes away from us. Danny went with me to make sure it was a real team, not a bunch of psycho killers. But he had fun, too. I think he'll be coming with me some of the time. I think he wants to try to run Brigit. He watched a woman's pom run, and he was like "Brigit could do that soooo much faster if we taught her". I told him to go for it.

The man that was teaching us was so impressed. When we started to hit the box, he said that we teach hit it for paw touching the spot on the box. I said great, he knows hit= paw/s touch target. He did it the first time. He even got all 4 paws on the box. Our homework this week is to get him to go fetch a non-moving "dead ball" from across the room. I think that's going to be the hardest thing. Cerb's a runner and a jumper, not a picker-upper. I'm excited about going back Saturday.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Can't wait to hear how Saturday goes Can you have Danny take pics or a video?
Good luck with your homework...Practice makes perfect
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Thats so awsome! ! !

Yes get your doxies going, its good exercise for them and they can have some really good times, search for Peaches on youtube, shes a doxie that runs fast times

Cant wait to see pictures or a videooooo~
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
k9mania
Administrator

Great that you like it. We did flyball for 6 years. Just make sure you keep him warmed up and stretch out before running each time. It can be hard on shoulders and back as it collapses toward the box. Many radiographers are finding that all sports including dock dogs are really putting a lot of strain on the dogs because they are not conditioned and warmed up properly. I am seeing 4, 5, and 6 year old borders in chronic pain from agility because of these factors in my massage practice. Good luck.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9mania View Post
Great that you like it. We did flyball for 6 years. Just make sure you keep him warmed up and stretch out before running each time. It can be hard on shoulders and back as it collapses toward the box. Many radiographers are finding that all sports including dock dogs are really putting a lot of strain on the dogs because they are not conditioned and warmed up properly. I am seeing 4, 5, and 6 year old borders in chronic pain from agility because of these factors in my massage practice. Good luck.
What kind of warmup should he be doing? He's not running yet, we're learning the ropes for now. That's a good idea warming him up
Old 09-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

We went to our second practice yesterday. He did so good! He actually ran the lane this time while he jumped the jumps, he wasn't just trotting over them. we also worked on his launch off the box. Danny didn't come with me, he's not feeling well. we'll try to get some pics next weekend.

There was a stupid couple that i didn't like. It was their first time at practice, and they kept talking about how they were about to have 2 litters of border collie pups, and they didn't like having 2 litters at the same time bc they don't have any homes lined up yet. I made a point to say that i've rescued all my dogs in front of them. A good breeder starts getting those homes lined up before they breed, and if you don't want 2 litters, then you just DON'T breed 2 females. I was also worried for their dogs, as they could barely get around themselves, i don't know how their dogs are getting any excercise.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Flyball Dogs