Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > General Training » Stubborn,shy hound

Old 05-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
jonom
New Around Here

Stubborn,shy hound

I have had problems with my dog when I take her for a walk.If she wants to walk more or go in a different direction, she will stop and not move until I go the direction she wants to go or where she wants to go.There are times also where she pulls on her leash. In the past I have used treats to bribe her but lately it has not worked. Any suggestions?

Matt
jonom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonom View Post
I have had problems with my dog when I take her for a walk.If she wants to walk more or go in a different direction, she will stop and not move until I go the direction she wants to go or where she wants to go.There are times also where she pulls on her leash. In the past I have used treats to bribe her but lately it has not worked. Any suggestions?

Matt
Theres not enough info in your post to help much, but, I have a few questions!

Who old is she?
What breed or mix is she?
What is YOUR reaction when this happens?
What is your state of mind after this happens?
How far from home are you when it happens?
Does this behavior happen at home, or in the house too?

Whenever I run into things like this I start back a "square-one" ...

Pulling from time to time is normal. If she's excited or distracted she may pull. When she does, JUST stop and make her come back to your side and sit.

Work on this in your drivway. Use lots of "good girl" when she does it right.

When they get "the attitude" you need to be firm but fair. Let her know that YOU want to go THIS way and ask her to follow. A firm NO, COME (or what ever commands you use) should be enough. If not, try waiting her out. Dogs hate to be boured.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
jonom
New Around Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterDog4U View Post
Theres not enough info in your post to help much, but, I have a few questions!

Who old is she?
What breed or mix is she?
What is YOUR reaction when this happens?
What is your state of mind after this happens?
How far from home are you when it happens?
Does this behavior happen at home, or in the house too?
Shes about 4 or 5.
A hound mix.
Honestly it runs the gamut. If I'm tired from walking or my back starts to hurt or I'm in a hurry I'll get aggravated.
I'm not sure I haven't really thought about it.
Again it depends, from 1o minutes away from my apt to an hour.
Other than that she is a real sweet dog. She has had a rough life and before I got her, she was either abused or wasn't socialized properly and is skittish. I fostered her before I adopted her and she got in the trash and escaped once but hasn't done anything wrong since then.
jonom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Labman
Been Around A While

I don't know if it will work in your case, but this is what I do with young puppies that won't move:

If getting out in front and coaxing doesn't get a puppy moving, try dropping behind it and running by in baby steps calling ''Go, go, go!'' In a happy, excited voice.

As for pulling, try the ''S''curve. As soon as the leash tightens, back up pulling the dog to the right. As she turns to follow you and the leash slackens, start forward allowing her to turn to the front. If the she pulls again, repeat. If you are working back and forth in the same spot for a while, that is OK. She will catch on.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
bootscar1
Been Around A While

Wow there are so many things you can try...
1- maybe try some sessions of walking on a leash in the house or just outside ur place.

2 - treats are good but try cooked chicken or something better than regular treats.

3- when she stops try giving it a quick short pull to get her to start moving again and with a firm voice say come or here or whatever you use ..

Hounds are a stubborn breed.....I had the hardest time with my hound when she would be on a leash but I found a long stick helped me keep her next to me. I would just gently swish the stick like a pendulum in front of us when she starting moving too much ahead of me.

Good luck like I said hounds are stubborn like some other breeds but any dog is well worth the time and effort we put into them...good luck
bootscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Its kind of strange that you have two "completely opposite" problems with the same dog!

How is her obediance? Does she always come when you call her? If so, use that! If not, thats where you need to start!

PART 1
Obviously the idea is to keep her moving on a walk. But in the next few days, when she stops, get in front of her with her favorite toy or a high value treat (like cooked chicken or beef). Call her to "come" and offer the toy or treat to get her moving toward you. Then Praise her for coming to you. When walking, if she starts to show signs of stopping again just drop a tiny peice of food or the toy out in front of her again. When she picks it up keep moving and tell her "good dog" ... Make sure you always give lavish praise when she keeps moving.

In your mind you need to make this a GAME. If you get flustered or angry she will pick up on that and she will shut down.

You can also "practice" this when you are in the house or yard. I do these kinds of things while watching TV.

Simply call her to you and offer praise, a toy or a tiny treat when she comes. By doing this ALL of the time you are conditioning her to respond. This can come in handy in many situations but will help a lot in this case.

PART 2
When a dog pulls ALL of the time I usually tell ppl to begin in the driveway or yard were they do not have any distractions.

1) Place the dog in a "sit" next to your leg.
2) Wait until the dog gives you eye contact.
3) With eye contact established, take one step forward and get the dog to do the same. If the dog doesnt move give a light pull on the leash. If she takes more than one step return to the original starting spot and begin again.
4) Repete step one, two and three until the dog only moves one step. Dont get in a hurry to increase the number of steps
5) When the dog "gets" the fact the it needs to move one step, increase to two ... and so on. When doing 2 or more steps you can remove step one of this process.

This method has worked with every dog I have ever worked with, but it takes some time. Go slow, it may take some dogs only two or three sessions to "get it" but it can take others four or five days to get it.

As always, make your training sessions 5 mins or less and be sure to end each session on a positive note. Then play with the dog for several minutes using the dog's favorite toy. This will make the dog more likely to "want" to train because it knows it will get playtime with it's favorite person at the end of training.

Remembver, ANY dog can be trained, but its up to you to find the "key" to your dog. If something doesn't work for you ... try something else. But always work WITH the dog's nature and it's pace.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
Momto3
Been Around A While

Dunno if it will work for you as it's only worked on one of mine. I adopted Merlin at about 2 years old. He pulled but I turned him around in a circle and he quit. Although he's a tiny little Cocker Spaniel he's verry strong. Thinking different things work for different dogs. I took this little one to the park after a vet visit yesterday and he DID NOT appreciate. Tail all tucked and scared of just about everything. He's been with me for two years and remains skittish. At least I can groom him now with very little problem! Mention bath and it's all bets off!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #8
Tuckerdad
Been Around A While

Take control and let the dog know you are the one in charge not it
Tuckerdad is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > General Training