Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > General Training » wont stay anymore?

Old 07-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
JessicaR
Been Around A While

wont stay anymore?

My oldest son has been training Dusty for obedience. At the last 2 4h fun matchs Dusty will not do the long sits and down. He stays for a couple of seconds then gets up and walks to him. And he had to command him twice to stay for the stand for exam. So he didnt place at either show since that is 60 points of the score. THe last judge said if he would have placed first if he wouldnt of got up. We are not understanding why he is doing it last year he did good, and when we practice at home and at training class he stays. Any tips on what to do?
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Sounds like a "situational" issue.

"My dog will sit at home but when I go to the park he wont sit"

I would take him out to anywhere "unusal" to retrain the sit/stay.

Tell Dusty to sit/stay take one step, turn around as if at a trial. "Good sit" Go back around him just like you would at a trial, and give a treat. "Good stay"

Repeat this, increasing the distance.

Try to find places similar to the dog ring. A lot of times I take my dogs to fun matches which are held after a show, and dont show my dog so she gets the "ring experience in a ring setting"

Also we proof by throwing toys and treats around the dog and make them ignore it. If there is movement outside the ring and the dog is not used to it, it will be stressfull to them as well.

Always practice over-the-top of what you and your dog will experience in the ring. One show we had a old man in an electric chair go behind the sit-stays less than 1 ft from the gates....and we have had kids hang on gates spilling popcorn in the sides of the rings...LOL....a lot of wierd stuff can happen at shows you cant proof for.

Another thing is you might have to put Dusty back on a long line...

Also you might want to make him break his stays on purpose in training, to tell him "no thats not a stay". If he ALWAYS stays in practice...then he hasnt had the chance to make the mistake and be corrected...then guess what...he goes to the ring and THEN he makes the mistake and guess what..you cannot correct there.

This is where you get "ring wise" dogs...dogs who never have issues with training but go into the ring and blow stuff...then you have a REAL problem.

This is what happened with Shara, looking back I have learned to learn from her/my mistakes. This was one of them that cost me many enterys and many HITs due to failing the stays.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

I would also think its all of the distractions.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I just dont get this dog yesterday was the "mock dog show" a practice run for our fair, and he done perfect ! It was utter chaos at this practice, we was in a building that echoed their was dogs and people walking all around even behind the dogs kids were running and yelling. I even walked behind him with his girlfriend (Belle) and he didnt move once. The fun matches were a lot quieter than this and he moved.

We do practice at parks, during baseball games, and we even make him stay longer than the normal time of 1 and 3 minutes. I think we will practice a bit more with Belle walking around him as that is his biggest distraction
Old 07-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #5
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
It sounds like he is picking up on the stress of the ring. When you know it is pratice you have a more "attitude" of comon Dusty lets go practice...confidence.

When going into the ring, nerves trigger...nervous about the judge, nervous about people watching, or just nervous that This-is-a-trial-and-you-cant-turn-back.

Also, in trials you cant ever talk to your dog except in between exercies. Do you talk when practicing, then go to the ring and say nothing.

Praise the Sit! People when they got back and release from the sit, pat the dog on the head and imediatly get ready for the down...

I started praising like crazy on the sit stays...I was doing what everyone else was doing...and not really praising her sit like I should have been...

I went through the same thing with my doxie and it is hard to trouble shoot stays. So I know what you mean, they do great everywhere but in trials it goes down the drain.

Maybe its luck that we made it through the stays with the doxie...I dont know. I think the lightbulb finnaly came on.

Who knows what they are thinking!

If you could, can you get some videos of practice and shows so I can evaluate what is going on? Dont tell your son you are filming in practice or he might change things...just a suggestion
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I wish I could film it my video camera died on me a while ago

We had our fair on monday and he stayed the whole time and got first place!! Any ways we dont talk to the dogs during practice and the trainer even has them pull lightly on the dog, not to the breaking point but enough that you can tell the dog is resisting getting up. He also has them return to the dog then immediatly go back out and around again so the dogs dont anticipate getting up.

My other son didnt place with Belle but it was his mistake (he is still in sub novice class) He pulled Belle from her sit stay She layed down half way through and he thought that since she laid down they were out, so he pulled her to him. I told him next time leave her in the down position. He might of got docked a couple of points but most times the judge doesnt when it is so hot out. Oh well good learning experience for him.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > General Training