Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Puppies » Pit Bull / Chow mix puppy

Old 07-21-2008, 04:02 AM   #1
bulldogger95
New Around Here

Pit Bull / Chow mix puppy

I have a pit bull/chow mix puppy. Is this a bad mix?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know and have dealt with pits, but never a chow.

Is my puppy a BAD breed?

He's starting to be a real lover. And my other dog isn't trying to bite him as often.

Thanks,
Sharon
bulldogger95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Theres no bad breeds, just bad owners. This dog will have the tendancy to possibly attack without warning. There is alot of cases where a sweet loving chowchow or pit being awsome, wouldnt ever think of their baby doing any wrong. Then the dog bites someone. I would be in obedience classes ASAP. Learn to read your dog very well. Dont ever really fully trust him...
This is my advice to you. My personal opinion.
I would never alow him/her near a child, children are not aware of how to 'read' a dog. This is when accidents happen. Children just want to play, rough and tumble, and what could be innocent play could be a "fight for dominance" situation for the dog.
Pits in particular were BRED to fight. FIGHT. Not hunt...Same as BCs that they have a natural instint to herd, without any training, they can herd. Same with Pits. I dont want to offend any pit owners here, but the facts are facts...and especially from rescue dogs that you dont know the history behind the dog. I am not gonna sugarcoat it. The dog could develop agression issues over time or could happen over night.
When I was young, we had 2 chow mix dogs, one bit me and one bit my bro, we had to find them new homes. Though I dont really remember the attacks, apparently they were bad enough my parents got rid of t hem the next day. Anyways...I would just be carefull and since you have delt with pits before, you have an idea what you are up against =)
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
hayu
Site Regular

huuumm Thats an interesting question and cross. I think it will depend how you raise it. I have only seen one Chow and he was pretty aggressive. But I have seen some pit bulls that your only worry was getting licked to death or your arm falling off from throwing a ball. I have also seen the other end of the stick with them.

Pit bulls are such a beautiful breed. I think that people should look at Vicks dogs 99% were retrainable to be loving dogs in the right family.
hayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
breakthenight
New Around Here

Shara, I think your response is overly harsh. Pits have been bred to fight other dogs,and to never harm a human. Thus, never trust them to NOT fight another dog as your pup matures, and make sure that your pup is well socialized!This means, introduce him to many people and places, especially children at a young age. Socialize, then socialize some more. I would sign the pup and yourself up for a puppy class asap, and learn how to work with your dog, how to read him or her, and make sure your pup knows how to properly behave. Be sure not to "spoil" your pup, and to make sure you two are a team. This is not a bad mix, however, it will most likely be a large,energetic powerful dog, and efforts should be made at a young age to direct his or her energies in a positive and constructive manner. ANY dog is capable of harm, this does not mean that they will, but all breed owners should be equally vigilant.loving, positive training methods go a long way. I have only ever known sweet pits and chows! Congratulations on your new addition
breakthenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
as you have had experience in the past with pits then treat as one dont let run free in dog parks and always have supervision around children chows can be tempremental so training is needed from a young age good luck and enjoy your new member of the house hold
if your house looks like its been hit by a tornado your owned by a dobermann RIP Lyric, Caito, Daimler, Autumn, Hope and Archie see you at Rainbow Bridge My heart is broken, all of you gone in one year, run free, play hard and wait for me.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakthenight View Post
Shara, I think your response is overly harsh. Pits have been bred to fight other dogs,and to never harm a human. Thus, never trust them to NOT fight another dog as your pup matures, and make sure that your pup is well socialized!This means, introduce him to many people and places, especially children at a young age. Socialize, then socialize some more. I would sign the pup and yourself up for a puppy class asap, and learn how to work with your dog, how to read him or her, and make sure your pup knows how to properly behave. Be sure not to "spoil" your pup, and to make sure you two are a team. This is not a bad mix, however, it will most likely be a large,energetic powerful dog, and efforts should be made at a young age to direct his or her energies in a positive and constructive manner. ANY dog is capable of harm, this does not mean that they will, but all breed owners should be equally vigilant.loving, positive training methods go a long way. I have only ever known sweet pits and chows! Congratulations on your new addition
It was my opinion. Harsh as heck or not...I would never own a pit or any 'attack dog breed' People can resuce them, and what not, at their own expense. There are pit lovers, and haters. I am very against them unless they were rasied from a puppy with 1 owner that knew what they were doing. ChowChows are also on my 'no' list. Asking if a ChowChow mixed with a Pit TO ME IS A BAD THING.
Yes it sucks these 'attack dog breeds' die, are not rescued, some are honestly good dogs.
But, she asked an opinion.
Asking an opinion, and I give it, and then Im told im 'harsh' is rediclous.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Actually, there was a study where Dachshunds were the most "viscious" breed Shara, they bite just as many children as pits do. It's all in how you raise them. you could beat any dog enough, and it would become agressive.

I think you'll have a wonderful puppy, just start enforcing what you want now, and socialize him to as many different things as possible.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
Shells_k
Been Around A While

I would definitely not say your puppy is a "bad" mix, and I bet he/she is cute as hell!! We would love to see some pics!

What I wll say, is that your puppy is a mix of two dogs that have the potential to be very aggresive if not handled or raised properly.

I think it would in your best interest, and very important, to take your puppy to obedience class. Breakthenight has given some great advice to follow.

I personally absolutely love Pit Bulls, I have never met an unfriendly one yet!!

Shells, Jessie, Sugar Booger,
Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
.. )) -::-
. .))
((. .. -::-
-::- ((.*
Shells_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
Leslie_N_Chessies
Been Around A While

I do think many breeds are more prone to human aggression than others, and pits really just aren't one of them. The key to getting any pup is to socialize like crazy.
Leslie_N_Chessies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #10
breakthenight
New Around Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shara View Post
It was my opinion. Harsh as heck or not...I would never own a pit or any 'attack dog breed' People can resuce them, and what not, at their own expense. There are pit lovers, and haters. I am very against them unless they were rasied from a puppy with 1 owner that knew what they were doing. ChowChows are also on my 'no' list. Asking if a ChowChow mixed with a Pit TO ME IS A BAD THING.
Yes it sucks these 'attack dog breeds' die, are not rescued, some are honestly good dogs.
But, she asked an opinion.
Asking an opinion, and I give it, and then Im told im 'harsh' is rediclous.
"pits" are not an "attack breed". They are fighting dogs which means they had been bred DOG AGGRESSIVE. Dog agression, and human aggression are two very different things. In fact, pits had to be very,very people friendly, because while they fought eachother, the owners actually had to be in the ring with the dogs, and to handle them in the middle of a fight! They were also expected to herd livestock, retreive and be a loving companion during the week, and a fighting dog on the weekend! I suggest you REALLY do some research on APBT's, because they are a wonderfully stable, athletic canine. I do not blame your harshness on you as a person, rather your lack of knowledge and the medias grossly misinformed campaigns! I really think you are missing out on knowing many great canines. Here are some links that might help you to become more familiar about the breed:

www.pitbullforums.com

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html (this is something I advise everyone to check out!even just for fun)

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/
breakthenight is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Puppies