Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Holistic Treatments » Garlic powder for fleas?

Old 08-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
gsdmama
Been Around A While

Garlic powder for fleas?

Has anyone used garlic powder in their dogs food to prevent fleas. My husband's co-worker puts garlic powder on his dog's food, and he says it helps w/fleas and gives his dog a shiny coat. Also he said that you can put vinegar in the water to help w/fleas?
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Furbilator
Been Around A While

There is some evidence that garlic is harmful to dogs. I personnally think it is the amount of garlic that is harmful, not the substance itself. So I would ask your vet before performing any kitchen-chemistry medicine, just to be safe.

A few years ago I tried the garlic trick to ward off wood ticks (Cassie doesn't have fleas) and it didn't work. Others have sworn by it. I guess it depends on the dog.

I have never heard about the shampooing with vinegar trick. It may work because vinegar shampooing works with headlice.

Furbs
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
i used to put garlic in my dogs feed now i found a garlic spot on flee treatment that seems to work not had fleas for years
if your house looks like its been hit by a tornado your owned by a dobermann RIP Lyric, Caito, Daimler, Autumn, Hope and Archie see you at Rainbow Bridge My heart is broken, all of you gone in one year, run free, play hard and wait for me.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Its the amount that makes garlic toxic. Its a very controversial subject something not everyone agrees on. Everyone agrees that onions are toxic, and just because garlic is in the same family as onions everyone seems to think that garlic is also harmful, which is NOT the case.

Don't go to vets for advice on garlic, their view and opinions are too biased, an exception is a holistic vet. But vets want you to buy things that they push in your face so of course they won't tell you that you don't need them because you can use garlic.

Because of differing biochemistry of each individual dog, there will be some success cases and some cases where nothing will happen.

I've done extensive research on the subject and have read that the appropriate amount, in general is no more than a clove for a big dog and no more than half a clove for a small dog. If you are iffy about it, then take some out and give smaller doses.

As a pose to what Furb said, there is really no "concrete" evidence that garlic is bad or good for dogs. If there was I would really like to see it.

Over history garlic has been used for many medical cures, and resently the scare because its close relation with onion has created a hysteria. But as I saw it put in the research I did, would you rather trust hysteria over history?

Here is a very good site that I found in my research on garlic, it hold good testimonies on garlic for dogs. Some negative ones, but those that are opposed to it don't give concrete bases for their arguement. I read through every single reply made.

Btw garlic powder is ok, garlic salt is not. Dogs don't need more sodium in their diet. Wish I could go on, (and I have more to share) but I have to go.lol.

Here's the link:http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/garlic_for_dogs.html
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:39 AM   #5
k9mania
Administrator

It is like any other type thing that we put in our body for medicinal purposes. How it reacts with the metabolism and inner workings of the individual determines if it works. So it may work for some dogs and not for others. I have seen people eat a whole garlic every day. Ugh, did he smell.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
Kathleen
New Around Here

Garlic for Dogs

I have been using garlic for over 20 years - the powder - I usually have brown rice or chicken, beef, or something to put over their food (a little encouragement) and put the powder in that. Never very much - never have had fleas and never a medical problem associated with the powder. So I agree with you - it all depends on the dog and the amount. I happen to eat garlic on everything. I don't have fleas!
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9mania View Post
It is like any other type thing that we put in our body for medicinal purposes. How it reacts with the metabolism and inner workings of the individual determines if it works. So it may work for some dogs and not for others. I have seen people eat a whole garlic every day. Ugh, did he smell.

Hahahahaha I think that is the only draw back! The lightly stinky breath.lol.

Oh ya forgot to mention that if your dog really doesn't need it, meaning that he/she is in no risk of getting fleas or having worms, I would think that you don't really need to feed it to them.
-Steven

My dog blog - Dog Notes
Old 08-20-2008, 11:34 PM   #8
Momto3
Been Around A While

Garlic - now there's a hot spot! If you don't live in Florida (as I do) or an equally hot spot for fleas, garlic works pretty well! My pooches get homemade puppy stew which does include garlic and I admit I have very few flea problems BUT I also spray the yard pretty regularly. Granted...I only use Frontline about every 3 - 4 months. Maybe cause of the garlic?
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:42 PM   #9
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
Garlic - now there's a hot spot! If you don't live in Florida (as I do) or an equally hot spot for fleas, garlic works pretty well! My pooches get homemade puppy stew which does include garlic and I admit I have very few flea problems BUT I also spray the yard pretty regularly. Granted...I only use Frontline about every 3 - 4 months. Maybe cause of the garlic?
Could be the garlic, about how much do you put? See the theory is that garlic gives the blood a different taste which deter blood thirsty parasites, both internal and extrenal, which would include, worms, flukes, mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas.
-Steven

My dog blog - Dog Notes
Old 05-06-2009, 04:03 AM   #10
2animalcomp2GerSheps
Been Around A While

I use Brewer's Yeast and Garlic tablets to keep our dogs tick free. When we first moved here our dogs became infested with ticks. We live on the desert in a bad tick area. But since I started using the BY/Garlic tabs we don't have ticks. I give the tabs every day. Brewer's yeast is good for the B vitamin too..
2animalcomp2GerSheps is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Holistic Treatments